Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Big City Portrait: Alexandra Grant









ALEXANDRA GRANT
Text and images by Anais Wade

Sunday May 16 2010

What is your full time job?
Artist.

Three words.
Why -- Fire -- Pink

Favorite letter?
E. I was obsessed with the letter E for a while… Somebody told me that it is the most commonly written letter.
And A… since it is the first letter of my name.
I'm partial to all the letters, I could take the whole alphabet!

What is love?
Love is about generosity. When I created the Love symbol for Watts House Project, it was a post-Obamic moment, when suddenly irony felt tired and being sincere and straight felt grounded and powerful. The word love functions as something that equalizes. It functions as a bridge between people who are different from one another, sets conditions where there's the possibility of positive exchange.

What's your recurring daydream(s)?
My most common day-dream is about food. How people connect through food, eating together. In the studio I spend a lot of time in meditative states, thinking of color and form. Speed, cars, I love cars… right now I'm obsessed with 1986 or 87 air-cooled engine old Porsche. Travel… Wondering how I could travel all the way to Patagonia on public transportation, going to the other end of the earth without a car…. I walked for 3 hours yesterday…. from Pasadena from my house near Highland Park. Stopping for ice cream, of course.

Art is (fill in the blank)
An exchange. I'm interested in the idea of being an artist-philanthropist, using the art to benefit a communities that don't normally encounter the art world. I'm inspired by Judith Becker's notion of the artist-citizen -- that artists can help build civic society. And Fritz Haeg's notion about "social acupuncture" -- how you can change an entire system (say a neighborhood's attitude towards gardening) just by doing inserting one specific project into an environment.

Why Los Angeles?
Because it's such a creative city -- there is so much opportunity for ideas to flourish and pragmatism to take root. The diversity of food and language. There is so much space and freedom to achieve wild ideas. In terms of my work as a text-based artist, Los Angeles' art history is a history of conceptual art and language as a plastic medium. John Baldessari, Barbara Kruger, Mary Kelley, Ed Ruscha… are practicing in LA!

Why FUCK in this painting?

I'm always cautious about throwing around words like "fuck" in my work -- it has to be the only word that works. But this new work is about the body, and as much as the body is home to the brain, it is also home to our more human sensual and sexual desires. I wanted to paint about this other side. And the painting says "FUCK spring." Cliches of spring are flowers blooming, eggs hatching, bunnies multiplying….things that reproduce. The notion of saying fuck the thing that's inherently about reproduction… seems very funny to me.

Top 6 artists in your dream art collection?

Wow that's exciting!
Gego -- Kitaj -- Richter -- Picasso -- a cemetery by Carlos Scarpa -- a letter written by Virginia Wolf

If you weren't an artist, what would you be?
I would be a novelist. Given my skill set, that would not be possible. As a child, I wanted to be Angus Young from AC/DC or a race-car driver.
Given my current skill set I'd be an aspiring inventor or entrepreneur who drives very fast.

Why not writing instead of painting words?
I don't have the patience to sit still and be a writer. In my twenties I read Hélène Cixous who wrote that she imagined herself to be a writer/painter with a brush thick with words, and I wondered what it would look like. I took it as a personal challenge.

First solo museum show at 33 years old at MOCA, wow!
Thank you. So many people think it is about who you know but I believe that the work leads the way. Creating something that the world is curious to see.

How do your collaborations work? Do you write your own story before you paint?

I am currently working with the writer Michael Joyce on the "Bodies" series, to explore the representation of the body in all its forms: biological, intellectual, sensual. I suggested to him that it would be a series of haikus and he wrote a series called the "Lost Hills Hokku".
My next project revolved around a text Hélène Cixous has given me called Philippines. The Philippine is an almond that has two nuts almonds within one shell -- there's the idea of "twining", of two selves, the perfect other that you fit with in this tiny little space. Related to this is the almond shape, the mandorla -- in European painting you can imagine a Christ figure or a Madonna in that shape. I haven't begun the visual work but I've been thinking about what will that look like.

I want to touch your paintings, they have a lot of texture.
In shifting to working in oil paint, my paintings have become lumpy and physical, about building up layers. I'm very interested in how women painters represent the feminine self or the feminine body. As a woman you're always struggling with the labor of beauty, how you keep yourself up, such as having to do your hair, smelling good and dressing… it is a science to be a woman.

When is your next show?
Haunch of Venison, July 7 2010, New York City
Honor Fraser Gallery, September 18 2010, Los Angeles

© 2010, Big City Forum

37 comments:

  1. Clutch bags Great terrific going, I really like all functions and looking forward for improved performance from your side. I'm a frequent visitor of this website and have suggested numerous people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to your sympathetic wife that's prepared to keep up your falter morale every time in your life! You do have such an interesting blog. Thank you!

    Forklift India

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible post.
    Photo retouching services

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome job.
    Piloto Comercial

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowadays YouTube videos quality is more better and improved, so that’s the cause that I am watching this video at at this place.
    Water pump Dublin

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the admin of this web page is working, no question very soon it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.
    Chalkboard

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s wonderful that you are getting thoughts from this article as well as from our dialogue made at this time.
    Maui Zipline Activities

    ReplyDelete
  8. This web journal is difference intriguing Very proficiently made data. It will be colossal to everybody who utilizes it, including myself. Appreciative Hi!This is especially valuable post for everybody. Appreciative to you so much this post.Just about everything looks amazing showed up
    Expert Dissertations Writing service

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a spam issue on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have developed some nice methods and we are looking to trade methods with others, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.
    Teff

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very interesting to read such an amazing articles. Whole blog was really an awesome site which I have never found anywhere.

    Free dating site

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have concentrate much worried without charge blogging website pages, yet I have no unmistakable thought regarding that, can any one prompt me which one is finest for nothing blogging and webpage building?
    Chiang rai tours Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, of course this post is genuinely fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging. thanks.

    Children’s book reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am truly pleased to read this website posts which carries lots of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds of statistics. Rajasthan motorcycle tours

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am truly sharp of examining posts on the subject of working up new site, or despite concerning Search engine advancing.
    Flucht und Rettungsplan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    My Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  16. extraordinary post, especially keen. I ask why another experts of the part genuinely never find this. You will longing to go on your making. I'm confident, you have a limitless perusers' establishment right now!
    Tinder girls

    ReplyDelete
  17. It’s very easy to find out any matter on web as compared to books, as I fount this article at this web site. vandra i Pyrenéerna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy, i read your site sporadically and i guarantee a near one and i was basically considering whether you get a lot of spam remarks? In case so how might you stop it, any module or anything you can admonish? I get such a large amount generally it's making me insane so any assistance is particularly esteemed.
    Dissertations Experts

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.

    -----------------
    Ferrari car hire

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also like Flash, however I am not a good designer to design a Flash, however I have computer software by witch a Flash is automatically created and no more to work.

    Meet bbw

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can any one tell me that is there any on the web classes for Search engine marketing, because I wish for to learn more on the topic of Search engine marketing.

    --------------------
    Apartment Water Pump Repairs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually picture is the presentation of some one’s feelings; it provides the lesson to the viewers.Web design service singapore

    ReplyDelete
  23. Much obliged you a great deal for such a stunning weekend I had send with Juneau Taxi and Tours. I concider your visits as the best one, everyone ought to attempt it
    Honda car test drive in Thane

    ReplyDelete
  24. No one can reject from the feature of this video posted at this web site, pleasant job, keep it all the time.
    Cerveza Artesanal

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about real estate. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.

    Zenith nutrition green coffee bean

    ReplyDelete
  26. Asking questions are truly fastidious thing if you are not understanding something completely, except this piece of writing gives fastidious understanding yet.

    --------------------
    Business management software

    ReplyDelete
  27. The young fellows twisted up totally stimulated to scrutinize through them and now have evidently been playing around with these things.
    Bisexual girls

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.You’ve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?
    Ideal homes portugal

    ReplyDelete
  29. Expected to form you an almost no word to thank you once more with respect to the decent proposals you've contributed here.
    Algarve Mortgages

    ReplyDelete
  30. Much obliged for ones superb posting! I truly delighted in understanding it, you are an awesome author.I will make a point to bookmark your online journal and may return sometime in the not so distant future. I need to empower that you proceed with your extraordinary posts, have a pleasant weekend!
    Portuguese property

    ReplyDelete
  31. For the reason that the YouTube movies are posted at this place same like I also embed YouTube video code at my own web page, for the reason that it is easy to obtain embedded code.

    ---------------------------
    Manligt håravfall behandling

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can any one tell me that is there any on the web classes for Search engine marketing, because I wish for to learn more on the topic of Search engine marketing.

    -------------------------
    Startup government

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, this website looks very user friendly! May i ask which web host you are using? Thanks a lot! By the way, if you are registering a company do check out the best business incorporationconsultant today!

    ReplyDelete
  34. To find a great ssbbw singles and ssbbw lovers, the best ssbbw dating site is the http://www.ssbbwdating.biz/ ssbbw women and fat lovers can find their ssbbw partners, read ssbbw dating blogs and tips to start ssbbw dating.

    ReplyDelete
  35. find girls with big boobs or big breast lovers, check the big boobs dating site and start big boob dating site, it is free to join for big breasted girls their lovers.

    ReplyDelete

  36. Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info particularly the ultimate section 🙂 I take care of such information a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
    atmanirbhar bharat essay, BOOKS PDF DOWNLOAD

    ReplyDelete